About the Zoobridge
Built in 1908, this 109 year old bridge has gone by three names over it’s life time: the St. George Island Bridge (named for the Bow River Island it connects to), the 12th Street S.E. Bridge (under the City’s functional name scheme) and most commonly as the Zoobridge. It took its most familiar nickname after the Calgary Zoo was established on St. George’s Island.
The structure is a modified Parker Truss, pre-fabricated and then shipped to the city via rail for final assembly. Built by the Algoma Steel Bridge Company, this was the first of several bridges built by this company in the City of Calgary over the next 5 years.
About the Author
Jack Hope is an blogger with an interest in Calgary’s local history, urbanism and photography. This project is a companion piece to Strictly A River Crossing, a history of Calgary’s steel truss bridges.
References & Annotations (Coming Soon)